Preparation : 15 Minutes
Cooking : 20-25 Minutes
Serves : 4 portions
Episode : (no video availble yet)
Author : Christina Hann Trefzger
Hainanese Chicken Rice is very popular in Singapore. You can’t go to this country without trying this dish. It’s so popular that is considering as one of the national dishes in Singapore. In other countries like Brunei, Malaysia, and Indonesia you can find it in big cities. I think in south east asian style is more interesting because we like to put some other herbs that normally aren’t use in China.
I have made Hainanese Chicken Rice countless time and I really like this recipe and it’s super easy. If you have chicken soup/stock on hand, it takes only 15-20 minutes. If you have a ricecooker, it’s even easier.
List of the ingredients:
2 Cups of good quality of Rice, I use Jasmine if you have Pandan rice would be better.
2-2.5 Cups of Chicken Stock (I made by myself, I will write for the next recipe and will link it too).
1/2 Tsp of Ginger Powder.
1/2 Tsp of Galangal Powder, if you can’t find it just skip it.
1/2 Tbsp of Chicken Bouillon.
1/2 Tbsp of Garlic Powder.
2 Lemongrass Stalks, cut into 5 cm long and pound with a pestle.
1 Pandan leave, if you can get it skip it.
Salt, to taste (I don’t put any).
P.S. My family and I don’t really consume a lot of sugar or salt. Most of my recipes have very little of salt. I don’t put salt here, neither in my soup nor in my rice. There is a little salt in the bouillon. You can put a little bit of salt, we just don’t need it.
How to cook the rice:
- Put your rice in a pot and clean it with water. Rub it with your hands. Make sure you clean the starch away. In Asian cooking, it is very important to wash the rice.
- Add in the chicken stock, ginger powder, galangal powder, chicken bouillon, garlic powder and stir well. If you want salt, you should add it in now and stir well too.
- Put in the pounded lemongrass stalks and pandan leave.
- Turn on stove heat into high.
- Cook until it boils and turn into low heat. You need the steam to cook the rice.
- I like to cook rice in low heat but in longer time. The rice is evenly cooked and it tastes better. I cook it about 20-25 minutes.
- Done! I serve it with the chicken from my chicken soup, some cucumbers and red bell pepper dices. Enjoy 💓