Preparation: 20-25 Minutes
Cooking: 45 Minutes
Servings: serves 4-6
This is my version of Vegetarian Olivier Salad and it is just amazing. I love Russian/Slavic Cuisine and am always amazed by its taste. I think I was a Russian in my previous life hahaha. It is sunny and hot in Munich now and a perfect time to go on a picnic! This salad is not just perfect for picnics, but also get-togethers, potluck or just for your lunch boxes.
The crunchiness of the Cornichon pickles, creaminess of the eggs, yoghurt and mayo and the sweetness of the beetroots and carrots are just the perfect combination.
I make a little bit of change in my version. I don’t use sweet peas but instead I put beetroots. And I use yoghurt instead of sour cream.
This recipe is for 4-6 servings, but my husband and I just love it so much, that we can finish it in one meal :D. I love to serve it with some cider or beer.
If you don’t finish it, keep it in a fridge and eat it on the next day. It tastes even better!
3-4 large boiled Potatoes (about 400 gr or 14 oz), diced.
3 large boiled Carrots (about 130 gr or 4.5 oz), diced.
2 large cooked Beetroots (about 150 gr or 5 oz), diced.
5 medium hard boiled Eggs, diced.
100 gr (1/2 Cup) of Cornichon Pickles, cut very small.
2 Stalks of Green Onions, cut very thin.
1 Bundle of Fresh Dill, finely chopped.
125 gr (1/2 Cup) of Yoghurt (I use low fat yoghurt and it tastes really good).
125 gr (1/2 Cup) of Mayo.
1 Tbsp of Salt.
Pepper, to taste.
- Boil potatoes, carrots, and eggs in a big pot for about 45 minutes or until completely cooked. My beetroots are precooked so I don’t need to boil them anymore. But if you have raw beets, you also need to cook them too. Let them cool down and cut them all into dices (thumb size). I cut them all in the same size. And put them in a big salad bowl.
- Cut the Cornichon pickles into very small dices and put them into the bowl.
- Slice the green onions into thin slices, throw them in the bowl too.
- Chop the dill finely and toss it in the bowl.
- Add in the yoghurt, mayonaisse, salt and pepper and mix them.
- Make sure that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Serve it with some cider or beer! Enjoy!